Kathryn M. York Adapted Aquatics Center
The Kathryn M. York Adapted Aquatics Center is located at the Wilson Family Y. It is dedicated to improving the quality of life of individuals with physical and/or developmental challenges. The facility, also known as “Katie’s Pool,” was built to honor the life and work of Katie York, a Y employee whose young life was cut short by a seizure disorder. Prior to her death in 2008, Katie inspired those around her with her faith, determination and dedication to serving others with disabilities through the adapted aquatics program. It was through the out-pouring of grief and support from her family, friends and the community that the necessary funds were raised to build the state-of-the-art center which opened June 2, 2010, on what would have been Katie’s 23rd birthday. Since its opening, the lives of more than 1,000 individuals per month have been strengthened through the programs offered in Katie’s Pool.
Katie’s Pool is a 33 x 60-foot, shallow and deep-water therapy pool with a zero-entry, 42 ft. wheelchair ramp in the shallow end. Special features include specially adapted changing rooms with a lift system to accommodate challenged individuals. The pool utilizes a state-of-the-art UV sanitation system, ideal for those with illnesses that are adversely affected by standard chlorine filtration systems.
Katie’s Pool is considered the largest public therapy pool in the southeast. The programs are fee-based and open to both Family Y members and non-members. An initial evaluation is required for use. To schedule an evaluation or for additional information, please contact Claudia Collins at 706-922-9664 or at [email protected].
Financial assistance is available for all Family Y programs.
Programs offered in Katie’s Pool
For more information on programs offered, times, and prices – please contact Claudia Collins at 706-922-9664 or at [email protected]
- Adapted Evaluation for Adapted Aquatics & Adapted Personal Training A 30-minute mandatory annual evaluation includes water or land assessment with medical history. All participants must have Evaluation for Adapted Programs.
- Adapted Aquatic Special Populations Special 1/2 hr. or 1 hr. classes for individuals with physical or cognitive disabilities of all ages. Adapted trained staff use Aquatic skills to improve participant’s balance, range of motion, coordination, core and muscle tone.
- NEW Adapted Personal Training Special 1/2 hr. or 1 hr. classes for individuals with physical or cognitive disabilities of all ages. Adapted trained staff use fitness skills to improve participant’s balance, range of motion, coordination, core and muscle tone.
- BlazeSports Swim Team Swim team for all ages of swimmers with physical or developmental disabilities.
- Multiple Sclerosis/Parkinson Aqua Class 50 minute group class designed specifically for ambulatory participants affected by Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson Disease.
- Open Rehab Specific pool times for individuals to perform their own maintenance or rehab program.
- Adapted Pool Parties 2-hr. parties for individuals with physical or developmental disabilities . Saturdays Call 706 922 9664 for reservation.
- Muscle Toning Aquatic Exercise Class 45 min. Ambulatory Group class emphasizing muscle toning, coordination and balance to help clients affected by any type of disability.
- NEW Adapted Therapeutic Massage Reduce stress, improve flexibility & relieve sore muscles with a 30 or 60 minute massage by our licensed massage therapists. Call 706 922 9629. **Appointment necessary**