Fifteen years ago, along the shores of Lake Thurmond, Camp Lakeside was developed to provide day and residence camps for youth, adults, families and military groups in the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA). A partnership between the Family YMCA of Greater Augusta and the Children’s Hospital of Georgia (Children’s Hospital) includes a renovation and expansion that will allow anyone with a chronic health condition or disability to have access to a life-changing camp experience.
The Children’s Hospital of Georgia (Children’s Hospital) has been offering specialized camp programs for children across Georgia facing significant health challenges such as cancer, heart conditions, diabetes and joint disorders. Currently Children’s Hospital utilizes a camp facility 100 miles from Augusta which poses significant challenges. Camp Lakeside will provide a camp closer to home that will serve more children and families. As a nationwide leader in adaptive programs, the Family Y will provide the therapeutic and recreational activities to meet these needs
- Phase I- Completed
- Starting early and right with quality learning experiences through Head Start can help your child succeed now and throughout life.
- Development of a 25,000ft2 multi-purpose building with a parking lot and outdoor theatre/stage area
- Renovations to the arts and crafts building
- Construction of a shed for water activities
- Renovations to the archery range
- New improved hiking trails
- Phase II – Completed
- A 5,000 square foot, state-of-the-art, full service medical facility to accommodate any disability and health condition that may arise and provide routine care for all campers
- Four new “next generation” cabins that can accommodate up to 30 campers each
- Phase III
- A 300,000 gallon, zero-entry swimming pool (shallow end of the pool is ground level to provide wheelchair access) with a splash pad, “lazy river” feature, bath house and restroom facilities
When you support Camp Lakeside, you…
- Nurture the potential of every child and teen
- Invest in the lives of thousands of people for years to come
- Provide a camp where all children, youth and adults, regardless of ability or health status, can enjoy the adventure, fun and friendships of summer camp
- Afford parents of children with serious illnesses, disabilities and life challenges an opportunity to relax knowing their child is in a nurturing and medically safe environment
- Promote family development and strengthen the family unit
- Provide a secure environment for the families of our military veterans
The Family Y and the Children’s Hospital of Georgia will add a significant dimension to the quality of life for all those who most need it in the Southeast. With these critical additions, Camp Lakeside will become a valuable recreation, therapeutic resource that will meet the needs of the next generation of children, youth, adults and their families in the region. Healing Through Joy!!