LIVESTRONG® AT THE FAMILY Y
Taking Action, Changing Lives
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is an evidence-based program that helps adult cancer survivors reclaim their health and well-being following a cancer diagnosis. The Family YMCA of Greater Augusta creates a welcoming community in which survivors can improve their strength and physical fitness, diminish the severity of therapy side effects, develop supportive relationships, and improve their quality of life.
Recent research from the Yale Cancer Center and Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Institute confirmed that LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA participants experience improved fitness and quality of life as well as significant decreases in cancer-related fatigue. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA, was developed and established in partnership with the LIVESTRONG® Foundation, assists those who are living with, through, or beyond cancer to strengthen their spirit, mind and body.
The program has served more than 52,000 cancer survivors in more than 600 communities across the nation. It is open to adults 18 years or older at no cost.
For more information or to register, contact, Stephanie L. Angelo, Project Manager at 706 589 2709 or [email protected].
- Small group, supportive environment
- 12-week program with two 90-minute sessions per week
- Includes cardiovascular conditioning, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Held in YMCA “Wellness Centers”
- Evaluation includes Functional and Quality of Life assessments before and after participation
- Facilitated by YMCA-certified Instructors
- Free YMCA membership for participant and their family for the duration of the program
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA has been proven to:
- Help survivors MEET OR EXCEED the recommended amount of physical activity.
- Help survivors SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASE their cardiovascular endurance.
- IMPROVE cancer survivors’ overall quality of life and DECREASE their cancer-related fatigue.
These are average improvements across all age levels, types of cancer and physical ability:
- High levels of SATISFACTION
- STRONG CONNECTIONS with other group members
- PLANS TO CONTINUE EXERCISE after the program
- 6 minute walk test (participants walk on an indoor track as quickly as possible for six minutes)- 16% improvement
- Upper body strength – 49% improvement
- Lower body strength – 39% improvement
- Shoulder flexibility – 8% improvement
- Functional balance (standing and reaching forward without losing balance) – 15% improvement
- Standing balance (standing on one foot)– 11% improvement
PROGRAM LOCATIONS AND DATES:
Steiner: Start Date: August 8th, End Date October 31st Meeting days: Wednesday/Friday Time: 5:30-7:00pm
Marshall: Start Date: September 25th, End date December 18 Meeting days: Tuesday/Thursday Time: 12:30-2:00pm
Wilson: Start Date: September 18th, End date December 11 Meeting days: Tuesday/Thursday Time: 8-9:30am
South Augusta: Start date: TBD Meeting days: Tues/Thurs Time 12:30-2:00pm
North Augusta: Start date: September 5 and will end November 26. Meeting days and times: Mon/Wed, from 10:00-11:30am
Barnwell: Start date: TBD Meeting days and times: TBD
Aiken: Start date: TBD Meeting days and times: TBD
Thomson: Start date: TBD Meeting days and times: TBD