As part of the Five Days of Action this week, we are learning how to KNOW. SEE. RESPOND. to protect children from sexual abuse. Today we want to introduce you to KNOW. and the significant role it plays in child protection.
KNOWing the facts about child sexual abuse can help you better understand what to look for and how to prevent the situations that lead to abuse. Here are five facts about child sexual abuse, you may not have heard.
- 1 in 10 children will be sexually abused by the age of 18.
- 90% of survivors know and trust their abuser
- 40% of advisors are abused by older or larger children
- The most common sign of abuse is dramatic changes in behavior or mood
- Establishing healthy boundaries is one of the greatest protections against abuse
Remember, child abuse is preventable if we work together to KNOW. SEE. RESPOND. Learn more about ways you can do your part by visiting www.fivedaysofaction.org/knowsee.